Monday, February 27, 2012

Chicken Stock

Roast them bones! Typically I roast chicken for the main meal. I am careful to reserve any cooled roasted chicken bones skin and parts to my chicken freezer bag for future stock. But sometimes I just need them bones so I will buy bone in skin on chicken breast bring it home strip the meat from the bones freeze the boneless skinless chicken meat for another meal, then I roast just the skin and bones. To roast the Chicken bones skin lay them on a rimmed cookie sheet brush them with oil, salt and pepper roast until a deep brown in a 350 degree oven usually 30 minutes. In a large stock pot place frozen veggies out of veggie bag frozen chicken bag then fill the pot to the top with cold water.

Add:

One bay leaf
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp thyme

Bring everything up to a boil over medium high heat, reduce the heat to simmer and simmer 5 -10 hours. Strain out solids (twice) cool, remove any remaining fat, package and freeze.

TIP

Any juices left on cookie sheet need to go into your stock pot in the beginning.

No comments: